This Grilled Mozzarella Sandwich is made with fresh tomatoes and walnut pesto grilled with sourdough bread. It’s easy to assemble and bursting with flavor!
For the Sandwich
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese sliced
- 1 large tomato sliced
- 2 oz roasted red peppers jarred
For the Pesto
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
To make the pesto, place the basil, garlic, walnuts and Parmesan cheese in the food processor; season with salt and pepper, to taste, and blend. While the food processor is on, pour the olive oil slowly into the mixture in order to allow the olive oil to emulsify.
Spread the pesto equally on the 4 slices of bread and place the bread on the panini maker or in a toaster oven for 2 minutes.
Then place the mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and roasted red peppers on top of bread slices and allow the cheese to melt and the veggies to soften.
Once the cheese melts, close the sandwich, cut and serve immediately
Storage: Leftover pesto should be covered and stored in the refrigerator, it will keep fresh for one week. I would not recommend storing the sandwich though for more than a couple hours. If you have sandwich leftovers, it’s best to reheat using a toaster oven or panini maker.
Make Ahead Tips: You can make the pesto up to one week in advance and then use in the the grilled sandwich when you’re ready.
Substitutes: For best results, follow the recipe as is. However here are some common substitutes that would work well in this recipe.
- Instead whole mozzarella, you can use shredded mozzarella. Although I think it creates a completely different flavor and texture to the sandwich.
- Instead of walnuts, you can use other nuts, like pine nuts, almonds or pecans, to make the pesto
- recipes by https://feelgoodfoodie.net/
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 449